Thursday 8 March 2012

Punjabi Rajma (Red Kidney beans curry - Punjabi style)


"Rajma Chawal" or "Red Kidney beans curry and white rice", one of my favourite punjabi meals.
I was never a fan of Rajma or Red Kidney beans, but from the time I ate this curry prepared by one of my newly found Punjabi friend, I have started loving this dish.
When eaten with steaming white rice it really falls in my list of comfort foods or should I say comfort meal.
So not to mention, I learnt this dish from my Punjabi friend.

Ingredients:

Rajma or Red Kidney beans - 200 gms
Onion - 2
Tomato - 2
ginger - 2 inch
garlic - 4 flakes
green chilli - 2
garam masala powder
red chilli powder ( preferably kashmiri red chilli powder)
oil - 2 tbsp ( use mustard oil for authentic punjabi taste)
Method:

Soak the kidney beans overnight. Then boil them in a pressure cooker for about 20 mins.
Once the cooker has cooled down, drain the beans out and keep the water aside for future use.
Grind onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies to a smooth paste.
Blanch and puree the tomatoes and keep aside.
Now take a heavy bottom pan, add oil, and when it almost begins to smoke, add the onion ginger garlic green chillli paste.
Fry well till the onions become golden brown.
Then add the garam masala and red chilli powder and keep frying.
 Then add tomato puree and fry till oil begins to separate.
Now add the kidney beans and fry well till the beans absorb the masala abt 10 mins.
Add the water in which beans was boiled, and bring to boil.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with steaming basmati rice.

1 comment:

Search my blog