Tuesday 13 March 2012

Batate Saaru (Potato Rasam)

Have you heard of "Potato Rasam" ?
Am sure not..
I too was quite surprised when I heard about this rasam from my Grand Uncle/Aunt.
And then one day I was amazed when I was actually served Pototo Rasam in my Grand Aunt's house in Pune several years back.
This dish is my Grand Uncle's creation.
So simple yet so tasty, I am sure you will love it just like I do.


Ingredients :
Potatoes - 2 medium sized
Water - 2 cups or 300 ml
Green chillies - 2
Dry red chilles - 2
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Hing/Asofoetida - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch chopped
Lemon juice or Tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp


Method :
Boil potatoes.
Peel them and mash them evenly using hand or potato masher. You can even mash the potatoes evenly by squeezing them thru a lemon juicer.
But make sure its only mashed lightly without lumps.
Too much mashing will make it starchy so dont overmash them.
Now put the mash in a saucepan or a vessel with 300 ml of water, Mix well. 
Add salt, turmeric, tamarind or lemon juice, 2 green chillies slit lengthwise and half the coriander leaves.
Bring to boil.
Now on the other gas stove, keep a seasoning pan.
Put oil, add mustard, hing/asofoetida, cut red chillies and curry leaves.
When they splutter pour over the boiling potato liquid.
Potato rasam is ready.
Garnish with the remaining chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with steaming white rice or red rice. 

2 comments:

  1. Guess what's for lunch at home today :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Potato Rasam ? that's a very good speed of implementation. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Search my blog