Sunday 23 June 2013

Mutton in Green masala - Mangalore style curry


I have a fantastic memory especially when it comes to food...
During my childhood I remember eating this curry at my Mom's friend's place, and since then this curry has always been on my mind...and the taste always lingered on my palate...
For years I have tried to get this recipe thru some Mangalorean friends, but even after cooking it, I never managed to relate the taste to that "green mutton curry" which I had eaten years back...
A few weeks back I found another cookbook of my old granny, which was almost in tatters, and while going thru the book I found a recipe called "green mutton curry", and as always the chef in me decided to give this recipe a try....
and lo!! this was it...!! the perfectly tasting, "Green Mutton curry" made in true Mangalore style....
Try making it am sure you will love it... just like everyone in my family did..!!


Serves 4
Ingredients:
Mutton - 1/2 kg or 500 gms - cut into pieces
vegetable oil - 4 tbsp
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup ( around 50 gms)
Onion - 1 - large - chopped
Ginger - 5 gms ( 1/2 inch piece)
Garlic - 8 flakes
Green chillies - 4
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup - chopped (50 gms)
Tamarind juice/paste - 1/2 tbsp
Peppercorns - 4
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Green cardamom - 1/2 - peeled
Cloves - 2
Poppy seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tomatoes - 1 medium - chopped
Salt - 1 tbsp or as per taste
Water - 1/2 cup

Method:
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan for about 30 seconds, Roast the grated coconut until pale brown, remove and keep aside.
Now in the same pan add 1 tbsp of oil, and fry onions till pale brown and remove and keep aside.
Take a blender or mixer, and grind the onions, coconut, ginger, garlic, green chilies, coriander leaves, tamarind, peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, poppy seeds and cumin seeds, along with 1/4 cup water to form a smooth paste.
Now take a cooker, add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil, and heat it for about 1 minute, then add the ground paste and stir fry this paste for about 3 minutes, then add the turmeric powder, tomatoes and salt and fry till tomatoes are pulpy and oil begins to separate. Now add the meat and the water and mix well.
Close the cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat. Then simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes.
Remove cooker from heat and allow to cool and pressure to reduce on its own.
Garnish with butter and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or Sannas (spongy steamed savoury rice cakes, popularly made in Goa and Mangalore, India.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog