Friday 15 June 2012

Lamb/Mutton Stew - Mangalore Style

I have had lot of different types of stew from different regions, like "Kerala style stew", "Ethiopian lamb stew", "Irish Stew" etc.
In Indian cuisine, I think the Kerala vegetable or lamb stew is the most famous.
Frankly I am not a big fan of stew, as I personally love spicy food, but I got a request from a friend who wanted to know how to cook the Mangalore style Lamb Stew.
So after going through my grandmom's old recipe books, I managed to make this one. 
My daughter just had this with dosa, after returning from school now, and she absolutely loved it.
And I must confess, this stew really does taste good.

Serves 3
Ingredients:
Mutton (cut into pieces) - 500 gms
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Onions (cut into big pieces) - 2 nos
Tomatoes (cut into big pieces ) - 2 nos.
Green chillies (slit) - 5
Coriander leaves (chopped) - 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste


For the Masala:
Coconut (grated) - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 4 flakes
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Pepper corns - 5
Cinnamon - 1 small piece
Cloves - 4 nos
Poppy seeds (optional) - ¼ tsp.


For Garnishing:
Onion (Sliced lengthwise) - 1 
Ghee - 2 tbsps.


Method:
Grind all the ingredients for masala together to a fine paste. Take a heavy bottomed pan or cooker, add mutton cubes, 1/4 cup coconut milk, onions, tomatoes, green chillies , ghee, salt & the ground masala and cook till mutton is tender.
Now add chopped coriander leaves, lime juice, and the remaining coconut milk and bring to a boil.
If the stew is too thick add 1 cup water and boil well. 
Fry the chopped onions in ghee and season the stew. 
Serve hot with idli, dosas etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog