Saturday 18 January 2014

"Moonga Ghashi" - Whole green gram curry - A Konkani dish


Its been a while since I posted a new dish. Life is pretty hectic after having got back to work. Its fun at the new workplace, making new friends, learning a new/different work culture, learning my new job, juggling between home and an office which is 26 kms/1.5 hrs one way drive from home...but am enjoying every bit of my new life...
Now that its been 4 months am slowly getting back to the groove...of being the same old super-woman who used to manage home, office work and my lil kitchen life all so well..
In the last 3 months cooking for my family is been an integral part of my life just like everything else, but I must admit I have not tried cooking any new dish in the last 3 months.
The easiest and most liked dish is what I have been cooking...the obvious reason being time...
but now I have settled down and decided that whatever it may be, cooking is a passion for me, like I always say "When I am in the kitchen, I am happy"...
Last night I made this simple traditional curry called "Moonga Ghashi' in Konkani.
Its a very easy dish to make, and does not require any pre-preparation, perfect for working men/women. When served with steaming white rice, your meal is complete.


Serves 4
Ingredients:
Moong/whole green gram - 1/2 cup
Coconut - grated - 1/2 cup
Dry red chilly - 4
Tamarind - 1 small piece
Salt to taste

For seasoning:
Coconut oil/any other oil of choice - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 handful

Method:
Take a large vessel, which will fit into the cooker. Add the moong dal, wash well, add 2 cups of water and boil in the cooker on low heat for 15 minutes after the 1st whistle. After the heat is switched off and the steam has escaped naturally, remove the vessel with the boiled moong and keep aside.
Meanwhile, grind the grated coconut, dry red chilly, tamarind and salt along with 1/2 cup water to form a smooth paste.
Now add the ground paste to the boiled moong dal.
Mix well, taste a bit and add more salt if required.
Bring to boil. While its is boiling, keep a seasoning pan on the other burner, add oil, and then fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves, allow to splutter and pour over boiling curry.
Serve hot with steaming white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog