Friday 23 August 2013

Cabbage Pakoda/Fritters


The monsoons in Mangalore are oh so amazing...!! 
Last week I had been to Mangalore and stayed with my close cousin, infact we grew up together in Mangalore... 
It was a lovely rainy friday in Mangalore.....cool and green all around, all I could think of was eating hot pakodas. And there goes my cousin and fries these lovely pakodas....
I had a wonderful time sitting at the window looking out to the vast expanse of greenery and enjoying these lovely cabbage pakodas.
She made loads of these, and both my nieces and I enjoyed finishing them all in no time....!!
For me this is a new type of Cabbage Pakoda/Fritters. The regular ones made by konkanis are with onions, but this one does not contain any onions so can be made on friday's in the Hindu month of "Shravan" when we do not eat onions/garlic.
Do make these at home and am sure you and your family will love them...!!


Makes around 30-40 pakodas
Ingredients:
Cabbage - 1 small - grated
Gram flour - 2 tbsp
Corn flour - 2 tbsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Chat masala powder - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Green chillies - finely chopped - 2 - Optional
Coriander leaves - chopped - 1 tbsp - Optional

Method:
Take a large bowl. Put the grated cabbage and all the other ingredients and mix well.
Keep aside for about 10 minutes till the cabbage begins to leave water and the mixture gets a bit moist and sticky.
Do not any water. If the batter does not get moist even after 10 minutes of keeping aside, then allow to rest for few more minutes till it gets moist.


Now drop handfuls of the mixture in hot oil.


Deep fry till crispy and golden.


Serve hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog