Sunday 8 July 2012

Chicken Chowmein

Chicken Chowmein is a very popluar Chinese dish loved by most people who love Chinese cuisine.
I have been eating Chicken Chowmein from my childhood and have always loved it the way its served here in India.
I have not been to China so I cannot claim the authenticity of this dish, but one thing I can say is that I got this recipe from one of the Indo-Chinese chefs here, so this is chowmein served in most "Indo-Chinese" food joints /restaurants across India.
Try making it, am sure you will love it too.
Here I have given the recipe of Chicken Chowmein that I make at home regularly, but if you are a vegetarian you could replace the chicken with your choice of vegetables.
Serves 2
Ingredients:
Chicken - 200 gms
Egg Noodles - 1 packet - 250 gms
Spring Onions - finely chopped - 4
Garlic - finely chopped - 1 clove
Dark Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
Vinegar - 2 tsp
Red Chilly sauce - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilly sauce - 1/2 tsp
Hoisin Sauce - 2 tsp (Optional)
Sugar - 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Olive oil -2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method:
Add the soy sauce, vinegar, red chilly sauce, green chilly sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and salt to the chicken and allow the chicken to marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
Now boil the chicken along with the marinade and remove the bones and cut into small pieces.
  
Put the egg noodles into boiling hot water for 2-5 minutes, and drain well. Add 1 tsp oil to the noodles, toss and keep aside.
Take a heavy bottomed pan or Chinese wok, keep on high heat, add the oil, fry the onions and garlic till translucent, do not allow to burn.
Immediately add the chicken along with the marinade and stir fry for about 5 minutes.
Now add noodles and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
Chicken Chowmein is ready.

1 comment:

Search my blog